Testing Your Smoke Alarms
- Test your smoke alarms once a month, even if they are hard-wired or have 10-year batteries.
- Press the test button on your alarm. If you have trouble reaching your alarms, use a broom handle or a cane.
- If the alarm doesn't sound, replace the battery or the alarm immediately.
- If your alarm uses standard batteries, change them when you change your clocks, or anytime it chirps or beeps on and off, indicating a low battery.
- Replace smoke alarms every 10 years
- When your alarm sounds, get out and stay out